Monday, December 14, 2009

Snowmobiles are fun?

Finally got some time to get snowmobiles out;

The Tigre started up surprisingly well, maybe 10 pulls, ran strong and idle well considering its still got last year's gas. Later I tried to run it some more and the pull cord came out and stayed out, Grr...

The Grand Touring was a bitch, no primer action, no start action. Shot some starting fluid in and still no start action. Ether down the plug holes got some action but no pumping magic. After a HUGE effort the thing is in the garage where I realize no gas is getting pulled out of the tank. I wasted a bunch of time figuring it was frozen only to realize I could siphon gas out before the filter. My bet now is theres a leak somewhere. The big hassle is that this system uses fuel line bigger than the 1/4" stuff I'm used to. I'd like to disconnect the line at the pump and see if I can siphon there which would probably tell me the pump is bad but the danged thing is buried down in the belly of the sled and the right carb has to come out to get to it... Thats my next step I think...

I think my plan is to replace all the fuel lines once I find a source for them (need to find a nearby Ski-Doo dealer) as well as the primer tee. Last winter gas was definately getting out, it'd take a bunch of pumps on the primer to get gas into the line and then I'd have to keep pumping the primer to keep the sled running while the carbs filled. So clearly theres a leak somewhere. I figure the lines are probably all original and need replacing...

Good fun, goood fun... Never did get the Wankle Panther going, it was basically out of gas and I had to rob its primer and primer line to prove the primer on the Ski-Doo was good (it wasn't, at one point I did get it to pull gas but it pee'd on my hand) I bought a replacement which I've yet to install...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Curt: next time do yourself a favor. Yank the plugs.Put the caps on the plugs and lay them on the head.Pull the cord a dozen times or untill you see gas moving in the filter. Check for spark while you doing this.Spray so WD 40 or Lq wrench in the plug holes and insert the plugs.This makes cold starting a lot less work. Airmaverick

Curt said...

Hi Dana,

Turns out the Ski-Doo's primer was leaking. Then for some reason the one I robbed of the wankle Panther leaked as well... I bought another and put it on the Ski-Doo after replacing the primer T (which is tough because of the Ski-Doo's huge fuel lines) and it fired right up. I still need to replace some more of the primer lines, they leak just a little when the sled is sitting and will empty overnight.

When I swapped the "bad" primer back to the wankle Panther it worked fine. Weird...