Saturday, January 12, 2013

Bought another!

Well friends its been several years now since the Dead Sled Wrencher has bought a new machine but here we go again, once more into the breech!

My 37th birthday is coming up and I'd decided I was due a present, I'd found a '73 Pantera online but luck was not with me and it was sold before I could get to it. Then fate took me to the New Hampshire Snowmobile Museum classifieds just minutes after the posting of a '79 Polaris Cobra 340. I contacted the seller and we made the deal.

Thats a before picture in the seller's garage. The sled hadn't been run in a year which is no big surprise as we had almost no snow last year so the carbs will of course need to be cleaned. More vexing theres no spark. This is a magneto ignition sled which means breaker points. Back years ago lack of spark on a breaker points system was why I had to get rid of my '76 TNT so I'm a bit gun shy...

Over the next two days I spent about 4 hours cleaning, cleaning, cleaning the points and managed to get spark so last night I pulled and cleaned the carbs, they were as nasty as any I've ever seen.
With that done its all ready to start I just need to go get some fresh gas and give it a try.

A few other notes, the seat cover is ruined, fortunately theres a seller on eBay who is manufacturing new covers. The grips are for a dirtbike or ATV, I plan to replace them with Poly Heaters. I had a set of those on the Centurion and although I never wired them up for heat they were comfortable grips.
Finally theres no speedo, the seller supplied one but no cable or speedo drive, again theres one on eBay. That said I'm not buying anything more until I'm sure the sled will run...

No comments: