Friday, January 25, 2013

Got my grip on!

Last jobs on getting the heated grips wired up were to connect ground and power. For ground I pulled one of the screws that holds the handlebars in place, the Polly Heater grips come with a ring terminal that fit perfectly though I should have shortened the leads a little before crimping it together.
Finally for the hot lead there was a wire with a banana plug lying next to the fuel filter which was t-tapped into the voltage regulator. My test light show it was hot, I ran it through a 4a fuse to the switch.

I couldn't get the spade lugs Polly Heater provided to work with the wires since with the exception of the hot lead you're connecting 2 wires at a time so I used some other larger (and more protected) ones I had.

With everything connected I fired up the sled and flipped the switch, the headlight dimmed so clearly 2 things are true:
  1. Everything is wired up correctly
  2. The electrical system is marginal for these heaters.
On low its not so bad, the headlight dims but its not the end of the world. I don't think running the electrics full on will hurt anything but I should ask. Maybe I'll look into swapping in the lighting coils from a newer sled.

No comments: