Monday, January 28, 2013

One other note on brakes

I got chastised by the boys around the table of truth over on the Yahoo Group "Vintage-Snowmobiles" for adding DOT 4 brake fluid in my Cobra. Apparently it originally came with DOT5 and as DOT 4 and DOT 5 are not interchangeable or even compatible my using DOT 4 is bad mojo. I'm reasonably sure what came out was DOT 4 as one of the guys says DOT 5 is usually tinted.

Anyway on Saturday I picked up a bottle of DOT 5, they sure don't give that stuff away! I pulled the drain at the caliper and mopped out the master cylinder. Then I refilled with DOT 5 and left the plug out of the caliper until only purple DOT 5 ran out. Its handy that its tinted... With any luck since I only topped up with DOT 4 it won't have had time to hurt anything.

This whole incident makes me wonder if the leaking brake on my TX-L was inadvertently caused by my use of DOT 4...

No comments: