Saturday, January 31, 2009

1 ride, 2 breakdowns, still made it home!

Took the El Tigre out for a ride last night, I hadn't had it out of the yard yet this season... After a mile or so I noticed it was pulling even when I came of throttle. Af first I thought it was just the clutch sticking and didn't worry much about it. Then the carbs started to pop at low throttle. I got the sled turned around quick and headed back.
Pretty soon I realized that it wasn't the clutch sticking it was one of the carb slides so I stopped and shut it down. Immediately the bulb in my flashlight burned out... Fortunately it was bright enough outside I could see that one of the carb tops had come off. If the slide had come all the way out of the carb I'd have been in a world of hurt!
So I screwed the top back on and took off again, the sled running much better now. Pretty soon it just slows down and quits. This time I worked by cell phone light and found the gas line to the carb I'd worked on before had come off. I put the line on as best as I could but the clear plastic had gotten hard. I replaced all the gas lines on this sled last year. I'm not pleased with the clear plastic, the blue tinted stuff stays soft and doesn't have these problems. I won't use the clear again. I also noticed that the carb boot was kind of loose, of course I didn't have a screwdriver with me to tighten it...

So now the belly pan has gas in it. When I was a kid some friends had an El Tigre like this one which caught on fire presumably from a similar situation... So I left the hood up for 5 or 6 minutes and threw some snow down in the bellypan in the hope that it would dilute any remaining gas and fired it back up. The sled ran rough for a few secconds and then we were off but I took it easy, I didn't want that gas line coming loose or the carb falling off...

Got home with no further issues. Tightened the carb boot and put zip ties on those two gas lines until I get a chance to replace them. I'll put zip ties on ALL the gas lines before I do any more riding and on the new lines too.

I'm also going to start carrying a few more tools. A flashlight with a spare bulb, a screwdriver and a few zip ties for a starter!

No comments: