Monday, January 14, 2008

Carnage

Ahh, 2 posts in one day, craziness...
14 inches of new snow today... Angie and I went for a ride, she took the TX-L and I took the El Tigre. The Tigre is acting bad for reasons I don't totally understand, its really hard to start. Eddie had raved about how easy this sled started... Its got B8ES plugs in it though, book says BR9ES. The R is for resistor, how has the CDI on the Tigre been affected by the lack of resistor? Today I got the sled to run by swapping in a BR9ES that I'd swapped out of one of the other sleds some time ago. After running the machine for a minute or two I swapped the B8ES back in so I'd have matching plugs. Later on I shut it down and it would NOT restart. Swapping in another BR9ES got it running again. According to NGK the B8ES is a hotter plug than the BR9ES. It makes sense to me that a freeair sled would want a colder plug...
Anyway here's the carnage, or at least half of the repair of the carnage. This is the wiring to the headlight. It'd leaned on the exhaust and 2 of 3 wires had melted. I've cut away some of the melted insulation and coated in liquid electrical tape, thats the shiny stuff. I'll wrap with tape and split loom tubing once the liquid dries.
For more carnage I broke, or at least lost the headlight lens. I suspect that happened when I took a flying leap over a mound of hard snow. Probably one of the biggest jumps I've taken yet on a snowmobile and I managed to land it without hurting my knees which is pretty unusual. Either my knees are getting stronger (particularly the right one which I blew out pretty badly in my youth) or I'm getting better at landing...

The snow today was fairly lousy, at least for the trailbreaker (me). Its a fine powder but is also quite sticky as it was only around 26F. I ended up taking alot of snow in the face and the Tigre took alot in the main vent which pluged 3 frickin times! I'd find out it was plugged by loss of power. I'd have to shut down, get out front and clean it out, wait a couple minutes for cool down, and then we're off and back to normal. Finally I'd had enough, theres a section of trail thats tight through the woods and I was worried about overheating, it was warm remember.

The return trip was pretty good, I could open up the sled more frequently and cool things down.
The TX-L mysteriously quit on the road coming back, great place especially as the plow guy wanted to come by. I pulled one plug and sparked it a couple times (to confirm spark) and it fired back up to go about 400 more yards. While Angie was making that 400 yards I was fighting with the Tigre as described above. The plow guy said "This is why I don't snowmobile". Thanks plowguy...

So step 1 is new plugs and a good shot of seafoam for both sleds. We're supposed to get more snow on Thursday (a Nor'Easter) so maybe this weekend I'll register to ride in NH. If that happens we'll be able to get a good long ride on which combined with good fuel might just clear things out... I hope anyway.

No comments: